Easy-to-assemble, delicious and good-for-you vegan eggplant parm!
- 3 medium eggplants (about 3 1/2 pounds), sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 3 cups of marinara or tomato sauce
- 1.5 cups of Sesamaise Tahini Tangy Original Dip or Creamy Pesto Dip (or homemade tahini sauce)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- fresh basil
Preheat the oven to broil, set to high. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
Generously salt the eggplant and place in a colander. Let sit and sweat for about 30 minutes.
Wipe or dab the eggplant with paper towels to remove excess moisture and salt. Arrange the eggplant on the baking sheet and brush with oil. Broil for 4 to 6 minutes until browned on top.
For the tahini sauce, stir in nutritional yeast and water or olive oil (if necessary) until it reaches a "pourable" consistency.
Arrange the eggplant slices, overlapping them, in the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer the tomato sauce, basil and then the tahini sauce on top of the eggplant and repeat until you reach the top of the dish, ending with the tahini sauce. Bake at 350 degrees, covered for 20-30 minutes, and an additional 10 minutes at 400 degrees uncovered until hot and bubbly and the tahini turns golden brown. Top with fresh basil and serve.